I'm not a chef nor an expert in any Thai cuisine like all those experts out there, but I have cooked numerous Thai dishes especially pad thai and pad see ew for my wife. The secret of making delicious homemade pad thai is the pad thai sauce. Pad thai sauce is extremely easy and simple to make. It only need 3 main components: the sour, the sweet, and the salty. Basically, those are the main three parts of all Thai dishes. I will throw in one extra ingredient that I always use to make my pad thai sauce more delicious. Well, I won't rambling anymore because after all you came here not to read a novel but to know how to make pad thai sauce.
Okay, let's start!!!
This is for 2-3 serving
1. The Sour: 3 Tbsp of Tamarind - For a quick, easy, and simple you can use tamarind concentration. There are a lot of different tamarind concentration you can buy at your local Asian market or can shop online market.
2. The Sweet: 2 Tbsp Sugar - To get an authentic taste, you should use palm sugar. But if you don't have it then you can replace it with brown sugar. White sugar should be the last resource.
3. The Salty: 1 Tbsp Fish Sauce - Now there is thousand of fish sauces, how do you know which one to use? You don't want to use an expensive fish sauce that has 40N such as red boat. You want to use brand such as squid or three crabs fish sauce.
4. 3 Tbsp Water - Free. lol.
5. ***Secret*** 1 tbsp shrimp tomalley. It gives you extra flavor and umami.
1. Dissolve the the sugar in the water. I usually just microwave it for 30 seconds.
2. Add all the rest of the ingredients into the dissolved sugar.
3. Now Mix them up
That is it. You have pad thai sauce. Now start cooking your pad thai and enjoy. You can store it for at least 1 week in the refrigerator.
***The measurements are just a ball park of an individual taste meaning mine taste. If you like sweet then increase the sugar. If you like more sour then increase the tamarind...etc.****
All of the ingredients you could easy get at the local Asian market, but if you don't live near one or hate walking into one or too lazy then you can buy it online: Asian market.